Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) has always posed a big problem for people who suffer from it, as proton pump inhibitors, the most common drug treatment, have serious and potentially deadly side effects.
Now a new study has proven an old, natural method has proven extremely effective for curing acid reflux and GERD. In fact, up to 93% of participants reported complete relief.
To respond to this dilemma, Chinese researchers decided to test the effectiveness of acupuncture as a treatment of GERD. They published their findings in the Journal Zhen Ci Yan Jiu (or Acupuncture research when translated).
They recruited 58 people diagnosed with GERD conditions that were so bad that they could not sleep at night.
They then divided them into two groups: 28 who received acupuncture and 30 who received medication.
The medication group took a proton pump inhibitor twice a day for 8 weeks.
Subjects in the acupuncture group were punctured with needles to all the spots below the spinous processes, from T 3 to T 12, once every alternate day, for eight weeks.
The subjects were also given three questionnaires to test the severity of their symptoms before and after the treatment.
1. The Reflux Diagnostic Questionnaire for heartburn, abdominal pain, acid reflux, and food regurgitation.
2. The GERD symptom scale for digestion, reflux, food regurgitation, pain, cardiovascular effects, and so forth.
3. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index for sleep duration and quality.
After the treatments, both groups had experienced significant relief from their previous state.
Furthermore, it could be seen that acupuncture group improved a lot more on all three-measurement questionnaires when compared to the group that took medication.
1. On the Reflux Diagnostic Questionnaire, 43.3% of the medicated subjects and 71.4% of the acupuncture subjects reported being completely cured or experiencing a massive improvement.
2. On the GERD symptom scale, 56.7% of the medicated subjects and 89.3% of the acupuncture subjects reported being completely cured or experiencing a big improvement.
3. On the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index, 60% of the medicated subjects and 92.9% of the acupuncture subjects reported being completely cured or experiencing a massive improvement.
If this study is right, then it would mean that acupuncture is a substantially better treatment for acid reflux than dangerous proton pump inhibitors.